Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Farm

Summertown, TN, August 3-9, 2008

I was privileged to spend a week on The Farm, home of Ina May Gaskin, author of Spiritual Midwifery, first published in 1975 or so, and in it's fourth edition today. She's also written a great book called Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which I think every woman thinking about having a baby should read. I took a Midwife's Assistant Workshop there with 14 other fabulous women from around the country and Canada. I was the only one that traveled from West of the Mississippi. I'm feeling very energized and excited about taking on more responsibility with the births at the birth center here in Salt Lake City. The Farm is like Mecca for those of us that call ourselves Birth Junkies with pride!

Okay, so maybe it's really lazy of me, but I uploaded a bunch of pictures from the week to my Facebook page, and it's just quicker to post the link here for you. If you're not familiar with Facebook already, click on the first picture to see it larger and then click "next" to see each picture, some with captions beneath:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5651&l=5782c&id=1019891512

To learn more about The Farm (which offers much more than midwifery stuff--it's pretty much full of aging hippies and some young families into environmentalism, alternative agriculture, eco-building, etc...) or Ina May Gaskin, here are some other interesting links:

http://www.inamay.com/
http://www.thefarm.org/

1 comments:

Bri!!! said...

That is SO AWESOME you were there. I'm so jealous. The more I read about birth the more I want to be a midwife. I LOVED Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I agree that EVERY woman should read that book. I need to get her "Spiritual Midwifery" book. I am currently reading "Pushed" and then will read "Born in The USA". Maybe "Spiritual Midwifery" will come after that.

I had NO IDEA you were pregnant. CONGRATS. Very exciting. We are really hoping it will happen soon for us. I look forward to reading about your birth!